What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
What Is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, also known as HBOT or Oxygen Therapy, is a treatment that uses oxygen at higher pressures than regular air. Patients breathe pure oxygen in an enclosed space called a Hyperbaric Oxygen chamber for 1-2 hours daily. The effects of HBOT are similar to those of high-altitude training, which is why athletes use it to improve their performance. HBOT has been used for many years by the military, NASA, scuba divers and others who need to heal quickly from wounds or infections. It’s also used to treat decompression sickness when diving deep underwater or flying in an aeroplane at high altitudes.
But now, doctors are starting to use HBOT for other conditions — even for things like autism and Alzheimer's disease — because it can promote healing in many ways.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (aka HBOT) is a safe, drug-free treatment. Helen Taylor Aesthetics only uses the best, CE-certified UK-manufactured Hyperbaric Oxygen chambers.
Studies suggest that HBOT may help a wide range of conditions such as heart attacks, strokes, and radiation injuries just by using pure oxygen in a pressurized room. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a safe way to help the body repair itself.
Discover the life-changing benefits of HBOT. It is a natural, drug-free, safe modality that helps the body heal from various conditions.
HBOT provides your body with more oxygen, which is what your body needs to heal itself. You will wear an oxygen mask and breathe pure oxygen for about 60-120 minutes.
How Does It Do This?
By increasing the atmospheric pressure level to more than 1.5ATA, the oxygen particles become nanomised and thus can enter the blood plasma, cerebrospinal fluid and lymph. More oxygen in your blood plasma, cerebrospinal fluid, and lymph means that your body has more energy to heal and can finally begin to prioritize any detoxification.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy also helps fight bacteria and stimulates the release of substances called growth factors and stem cells, which further promote healing. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a powerful tool. HBOT ensures that we have better control over the rate at which we age biologically. HBOT is like giving your car some MOT.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can act as your self-care system to manage the cumulative wear and tear you're experiencing before it builds up to a point where you start to have bad health.
The benefits of HBOT are wide-ranging and include:
- Increased perfusion to damaged tissues, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, increases the amount of blood flow in your body by increasing oxygen concentration in your blood plasma. This helps get more oxygen to tissues that need it most — especially areas like your brain and extremities that are far from significant arteries. Increased perfusion can reduce swelling after an injury or surgery and help heal wounds faster than without.
- Neovascularisation, by increasing the amount of blood your body can carry, HBOT stimulates new growth in damaged tissue by increasing the number of nutrients available for healing processes. This can help to heal wounds faster and reduce scarring.
- Increased white blood cell function, HBOT stimulates white blood cells to release cytokines which help fight infection and promote healing. This allows you to get back onto your feet quicker after surgery or injury while reducing the risk of infection!
- Nerve healing, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy increases the amount of oxygen available to nerves surrounding damaged tissue due to trauma or surgery, which helps them regenerate more quickly and reduces pain associated with nerve damage.
- Wound healing
- Stem cell release
- Vasoconstriction (This is needed when there is poor blood supply in tissues, such as stroke victims; it improves circulation and reduces swelling around injured areas).
- Mitochondrial healing (repairing damaged mitochondria in the cells which produce energy for the body.)
- Anti-inflammatory effects.
- As well as anti-microbial effects.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has been used to treat many different conditions over the last 50 years. It's one of the only treatments that has been proven effective for decompression sickness (the "bends"), carbon monoxide poisoning and radiation. It's also used to treat chronic wounds such as diabetic ulcers, pressure sores and infected wounds caused by gangrene or MRSA. There are several different types of HBOT machines, but all use 100 percent oxygen at higher than normal pressures. The machines available at Helen Taylor Aesthetics are clinic-grade, whereas the hospital-grade devices are slightly different and require another procedure.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been around forever but was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of decompression sickness in 1971. The ancient Greeks used this form of therapy for divers who experienced the bends at great depths; however, Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment didn't become popular until the late 1900s, when it was discovered that increasing atmospheric pressure could increase the number of oxygen molecules within the bloodstream — thereby improving cellular function and healing time.
It is important to remember that Hyperbaric Oxygen is entirely painless, non-invasive and systemic.
Where To Get Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
So, you've finished reading this blog on Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and want to know where you can find a chamber near you. If you are based in Coventry, Leicester or even Birmingham, our Hyperbaric Oxygen chambers are not a far drive from you! Join us and experience HBOT.
We hope to see you in our Hyperbaric Oxygen chambers soon; Helen Taylor Aesthetics is based in Rugby, The Midlands part of Warwickshire. Our Hyperbaric Oxygen chambers are open to all individuals ranging from up and down the UK. All of the statements in this blog today have been scientifically referenced from our research on Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Please find the references on our HBOT page and click on each one of the links to learn more!